Me

My photo
La Paz, Bolivia
Riding a mechanical bull at the ISU Fall Fun Fair Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Running a 10k at 3600 Meters





The ACS crew including three of my students and of course, Miss Chicken.







In the spirit of pushing my physical limits in odd localities, I ran the La Paz 10k a few weekends ago with a group of teacher from ACS. I had yet to run 10k's since coming to La Paz, especially since my treadmill only showed up a couple weeks prior to the run. While my goal, of course, is to run the entire route, I had to walk about half the hills; just too much for me at 3600 meters above sea level. I ended up running it in about 1:08 which I suppose is not too shabby considering.





Miss Chicken and I decided that we didn't feel like wearing the yellow runner's t-shirt (not my color). It was quite cold in the morning but by the race finish, it was nearly 80 degrees. The sun is quite intense at 11800'.



See Nova's commentary (forced) regarding the viability and sanity of participating in a run that begins at 11,811'. Apparently Nova and I were one of the featured pictures in the local society page; clearly short, blonde hair is a rarity in La Paz so I have a tendency to stick-out a bit.


Regardless, it was a great experience that has inspired me to continue with my training program "at altitude". I would love to run the El Alto Marathon but have yet to find much information; I do know the course is straight and flat but may or may not be a full marathon. Apparently, the course runs along the El Alto until the course literally would run one off the edge of a cliff. I do know that the altitude on the El Alto is 14,000' so it would be quite a feat for me to actually finish the marathon. Intriguing...





Along the route in Uptown. There was about 7,500 participants which was huge in comparison to the UB Marathon which had just a couple hundred participants for the 5K, half and full.









The views were breathtaking, along with the lack of oxygen!









Approaching the final bridge to the finish line. I made the mistake of drinking the yogurt in my goodie bag at the finish...that seemingly inconsequential decision cost about three days of my life (and a few pounds) that I will never get back. Well, the pounds will of course find their way back... I've sworn off yogurt for the time being.

No comments: