Me

My photo
La Paz, Bolivia
Riding a mechanical bull at the ISU Fall Fun Fair Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cupping


There is a medicinal practice that occurs in Mongolia and great Asia called "cupping". Both Greg and I have had this done while having a massage yet neither of us felt relief from the practice, merely amusement. This may be one of those cases where the patient needs to have a certain amount of buy-in to the treatment; my western-oriented mind just can't wrap itself around feeling the benefits of this procedure.

Cupping is generally done when a person has sore muscles (in the case of Greg and I) or is sick (My Mongolian friend Selenge had her father do cupping on her when she was feeling ill); the ailment can range from the flu to stomach problems, to lung diseases. It is thought that this procedure will help to remove toxins from the body, will balance a person's chi and has rejuvenating effects.

Cupping has been used throughout history and has not been limited to the Asian region of the world; European doctors have also used cupping therapy at different points in history. The actual cup itself has varied in material through history; at this point, thick glass is the preferred instrument of practitioners although ceramic and bamboo has been used in the past.

To learn more about the origins, history and health benefits click on the following links;

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/cupping.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/07/12/earlyshow/health/main628788.shtml

Suffice to say, cupping will go down in my book of experiences as one that didn't harm me, didn't help me but makes for a damn good memory. A couple pictures from our different experiences;

















This is two sessions worth of cupping done over two successive weekends last year. My massage therapist, Oyo didn't tell me what she was going to do, she just did it. The version she did is called 'fire cupping'. As I was lying face-down and couldn't tell what was going on, I just figured, "oh, what the hell?" I sense her lighting matches, slowly adjusting something on my back then quickly attach something that sucked on to my back and neck. I didn't discover the results until the next morning.















Greg had his 'cupping session' while being massaged by the blind massage lady that comes to ISU offering mini-massages to staff who sign up at lunchtime. She did not apply the cups, instead, she directed her assistant on the proper placement. Greg's shoulder had been giving him some grief. I'm not sure why he was cupped in five places but it makes for a pretty pattern...














Some perspective on the size of cups used on Greg.

No comments: